Thoughts on chaos magick

chaosstar

Back when I began the #MagickMondays series last year, I intended to create a regular schedule for posting on a monthly theme with the hopes that it would eventually grow into a blog ring with many chaos magicians and pagans participating. While this hope never manifested, I have truly enjoyed crafting these posts, and intend to continue to write them. But with that being said, its very apparent that in the past few months these posts have been decreasing.

That decrease has been paralell to some personal soul searching. In May of 2014 when I made the jump to my own website I was really excited, but quickly lost direction when I realized I had no real idea what I wanted to do. This has spread into my religious practice as well; I no longer really identify as a chaote or know if I really would want to be associated with those who do. In the 10 years I have been involved with the chaos magick scene it has changed from an experimental, no-holds-barred type of thing into an entirely different majority that has well-deserved the distaste that it has been treated with.

I feel the move away from forums, blogs, and websites to facebook groups has led to the constantly increasing numbers of trolls, one-uppers, and know-it-alls. It disappoints me greatly that so many of the posts on chaos magick these days are regurgitated, reblogged articles on general magick, sex-obsessed workings, and a constant slew of half-assed sigils. Is this all that chaos magick has been reduced to? What happened to the innovative, ground-breaking work that used to be easily found?

On a personal level I have found that sigils are ineffective. They rarely work unless they are connected to a godform or egregore, so I really only use them when working with the DKMU godforms. I have always enjoyed the ability to experiment with different paths and take what is useful, but at this point in life it seems that all paths lead to the same thing. Perhaps it is time for a return to agnostism, and in-depth research.

I guess that the real question I face is the same one we all are facing: What next?

10 comments for “Thoughts on chaos magick

1. casey
    February 2, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Sigils have always been week for me too. Nwver really understood the fuss other than it being a non religious system that can sometimes work.

I think what you’re feeling has been going around a lot just now. A lot of the blogs I loved have died this last year or two, good conversation is scattered at best, and no one seems to want to put forth much effort into anything.

Something new and amazing will come along soon, or we will all splinter off into our own side projects. Its a tidal system, really.

• February 9, 2015 at 1:50 pm

A lot of the blogs I loved died too =(

2. Patti D.
    February 2, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I think that I understand how you feel, I’ve been going through a similar issue with Chaos magick as well. I don’t know where I’m going either.

• February 9, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Sorry to hear you are unsure too, but thanks for sharing «3

3. Nyte
    February 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I can fully understand this, and I am sort of going through a bit of similar questioning myself. I hope that, regardless of your desire to distance yourself from chaotes in general, you know I will always consider you a friend, and hope that said feeling will be mutual. I hope you find what you seek, what fills you with purpose and joy, always.

4. Tim B
    February 3, 2015 at 12:51 pm

This goes to you, Kiki, as well as anyone out there feeling the same way: don’t get locked into labels. Do your magick however you can, and however you like, and let established structure fall away to that which you build yourself. That’s what the essence of chaos magick was supposed to be in the first place, right? All that matters is that it works.

• February 9, 2015 at 1:53 pm

You’re right. Labels are unnecessary. I think the thing is that along the way chaos magick ended with an overall structure that has left a lot of us sitting in the dust. How long do you go by a moniker that no longer applies to half of its practitioners? And at what point will ChM just become a practice of trolling? It seems to already be well on its way there, much to the shame of the rest of us who employ a balance.

5. Moseel
    August 12, 2015 at 4:22 am

Ive always had this idea of connecting magic, art, music, and emotions all into one system.
    Or using mathmatical equations and concepts as spirit sigils.

• Moseel
      August 12, 2015 at 4:26 am

Ive always had this idea of connecting magic, art, math, music, and emotions all into one system.
      Or using mathmatical equations and concepts as spirit sigils.

Sorry for the repeat I missed a word.

Chaos magic always has been about stripping the “Fluff” and working on the bare bones of what is needed. It to deconstruct things to the bare minium. I think people have forgoten this.